Alkarama Person of contact for country
Radidja Nemar, Email : r.nemar - at - alkarama -dot- org , Twitter : @RadidjaN
- Widespread torture and ill-treatment in detention and police custody;
- Conditions of detention inconsistent with international standards;
- Arbitrary arrests of real and perceived political opponents, including minors;
- No fair trial guarantees;
- Restriction of the freedoms of expression and of peaceful assembly and excessive use of force by the police and the army;
- Impunity for perpetrators of human rights violations and lack of independent and impartial investigations
Human Rights Instruments
International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)
ICCPR Ratified ?
ICCPR Ratification Date
Individual Complaint procedure with the Human Rights committee (ICCPR Optional protocol 1) Ratified ?
Date of Ratification of ICCPR Optional protocol 1
Second Optional Protocol of ICCPR (abolition of death penalty) ratified ?
Date last Concluding Observations by Human Rights Committee
Next Human Rights Committee State Report due
Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment (UNCAT)
UNCAT Ratified ?
UNCAT Ratification Date
OPCAT (National Preventive Mechanism) Ratified ?
National Preventive Mechanism (OPCAT) created ?
UNCAT Art 20 (confidential inquiries) ratified ?
UNCAT Art 22 (Individual Complaint procedure) Ratified ?
Date of last Concluding Observations by Committee against Torture (CAT)
Next CAT State Report Due
OVERDUE - State party did not submit report on time
International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance (ICPPED)
ICPPED Ratified ?
Human Rights Council
Date last Universal Period Review (UPR)
UPR Next Review
Membership of Human Rights Council:
2009 / 2012
National Human Rights Institution
Accreditation with the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI)