- Use of force and violence against peaceful demonstrators, including the use of live ammunition and sexual violence;
- Lack of investigation and mechanisms to ensure the criminal accountability of perpetrators of serious violations of the right to life, resulting in a persistent climate of impunity;
- Judicial harassment of journalists, political opponents and human rights activists as well as restrictions on the rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly;
- Systematic use of torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, in particular during periods of secret detention;
- Violation of the right to a fair trial, in particular against political opponents and peaceful activists, as well as in terrorism and security-related cases.
Human Rights Instruments
International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)
ICCPR Ratified ?
ICCPR Ratification Date
Individual Complaint procedure with the Human Rights committee (ICCPR Optional protocol 1) Ratified ?
Second Optional Protocol of ICCPR (abolition of death penalty) ratified ?
Date last Concluding Observations by Human Rights Committee
Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment (UNCAT)
UNCAT Ratified ?
National Preventive Mechanism (OPCAT) created ?
International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance (ICPPED)
ICPPED Ratified ?
Human Rights Council
Date last Universal Period Review (UPR)
UPR Next Review