Skip to main content
Dr Yousef Al Ahmad, Dean of the law faculty of Imam Mohamed Bin Saud Islamic University in Riyadh, was sentenced to 5 years of imprisonment, followed by a 5-year-long travel ban as well as a fine of 103'000 Saudi Riyal (equivalent to 27468 USD) by the Saudi Special Criminal Tribunal in Riyadh on 11 April 2012.
The Saudi Civil and Political Rights Association (ACPRA) issued a press release stating it holds the Saudi authorities responsible for the deteriorating health of the rights activist Mr Mohammad Salih Al-Bjady who is on a hunger strike since 11 March 2012, and has refused to drink water since Saturday 7 April 2012, in protest a
Update: In addition to the releases announced in our press release of last Monday, we further welcome the release of Dr Mubarak bin Zair, son of Dr Said bin Zair. He was arrested on 21 March 2011 and was arbitrarily detained until his release yesterday, 29 February 2012.
Alkarama submitted to the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention the cases of 12 Egyptian nationals unlawfully detained in Saudi Arabia today. Despite the long years passed since their arrests they have not been brought before a judge nor have been formally charged in violation of international law.

Saudi Arabia is unfortunately well-known for its widespread use of arbitrary detention, as Alkarama has denounced on numerous occasions.

Ali Hussein Abdallah Al Mas
Saudi citizen Ali Hussein Abdallah Al Mas was arrested on 28 September 2004 and is subjected to arbitrary detention since that day.
Alkarama learned that the Saudi Authorities released last week Mr Saed Saad Mohammed al-Hazimi who was arrested nine years ago without any legal proceedings.

Mr Hazimi was initially arrested in 2001 and remained in jail for 3 months. He was later arrested in 2002 where he was moved between many Saudi prisons before he ended up in the Zahban prison in Jeddah where he stayed, until he was released nine years later, without being charged and without any legal proceedings against him.

The specialised criminal court in Riyadh issued a verdict on Sunday 19 February 2012 to release the reformer and political opponent Dr Said bin Zair after a detention that lasted more than four years.

Dr Bin Zair, Laureate of the 2011 Alkarama Award and a well known persona

Mr Omar Abdelmohsen Al Qaid, a 24-year-old Saudi national, was arrested on 28 November 2010 and remains in detention since then without legal proceedings. He is therefore arbitrarily deprived of his liberty and Alkarama informed the UN Special Procedures of his case today.

On 31 January 2012, Alkarama received information from the family of Mr Mohamed Fahd Wajan Al Shamari, stating that King Abdallah of Saudi Arabia had approved the decision to execute Mr Al Shamari after he was subjected to an unfair trial.

Mr Khaled Al Khedairy was arrested on 4 July 2005 and remains in detention without legal procedures until this day, six and a half years after his arrest. The Saudi citizen and father of five children was arrested in Al Salihiya District, Riyadh, by agents of the Mabahith, the Saudi investigative police.